Thursday, June 23

Another Dud

What K. neglected to mention in her previous post is that, in addition to all the storage space we have in the house, yesterday I rented us a 500 cubic foot storage space on the outskirts of town. Now, ostensibly this is a temporary rental to help with the move and to store the minivan full of junk that I just took out of my parents' attic. But given the obscenely cheap rental rate of a nickel per cubic foot per month, how could we NOT keep renting it?

But I digress. Today I wanted to tell you about another house that we looked at when we were hunting.

118_1858


This was an old house which, as you can see, was quite large and on a lot of land. And did I mention the barn, which was roughly the size of the block we currently live on, and had that growing-out-of-a-hill thing that K. liked in one of our earlier duds so much going on?

118_1855


This house also came with more acreage than most of the houses we looked at, and the price was well within our budget. So what was the problem with this house, you may ask? Well, let's take a look at the indoor swimming pool. (Did I forget to mention there was a pool?)


118_1863


Yes, it was full of cracks and the lining was pretty gross, and the interior of the room was oddly unfinished. And this room was in better shape than most of the rooms in the house, many of which were unfinished or gutted, and the carpets were peeling up and gross and there were holes in the ceiling and the floors were slanted and...well, let's take a look at a couple more photos.
118_1870 118_1869

I mean, we don't have much room to complain about ugly 60's appliances, for reasons that you will someday learm, but still. And the combination of a drop ceiling, fake siding, and astroturf carpet is just a little too much. We would have gone for any two of the three, but not all three. One thing that you can't tell from these photos is that the entire second floor was also built at the 6 foot level, so I was constantly bumping my head. I would like to say that was the reason we didn't buy the house, but by that time our mind was already made up. It was only the icing on the cake.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home