Friday, May 12

The Lumber Yard

In our town, there's a store for contractors called The Lumber Yard. It's across from the Super 8 Motel that we stayed in when we were house-hunting, and we used to joke that it sounds like a bad name for a gay bar.

We also have a mini-lumber yard in our garage that looks something like this:



Basically, one of the previous owners was a woodworker and used that space for storage and working. A couple of weeks ago, I went into the garage and started pulling down the lumber. It's one of the "It seemed like a good idea at the time" projects, and I swear that I had a good reason when I started. Though I can't really remember it now.



Each piece of lumber had an inch (and 50 years) of sawdust piled on it, which came falling down on me. A few hours later, I was sneezing, coughing, eyes running, and covered in a fine layer of brown.

Today, I went back and finished the project, and I found a treasure:



It looks like a Victorian/Classical overmantel designed to hold a mirror. I can't figure out if there are other pieces among the rest of the lumber, but it's a start!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home