Wednesday, July 20

We See A Black Door and We Want To Paint It Red

As we have probably mentioned before, K. and I are first time homebuyers. And as such, we have both spent the past decades living in lots of apartments with white walls. Yes, it's true that some of these apartments had "eggshell" walls or "cream" walls, but none of them had any color on any of the walls at all. So one of the things that we are most excited about is getting to paint our walls many different colors. So we have been picking up swatches of colors at various places over the past few days and yesterday we went to our friendly neighborhood Lowe's to get a few paint samples for the downstairs room. Here is what we got:

Red Orange Beige

Now, we know perfectly well that our downfall is going to be the temptation to do bright bold colors that look good after all of these years in white apartments but which may not actually be great choices -- and conveniently will be that much harder to paint over. And yet we are embracing these bright colors despite our knowledge much as Anakin embraced the dark side.

As of right now, here is what we think of the colors. but we would love to hear your opinions, dear readers, if you want to share them with us.

"Heirloom Red", Living Room
D: It's awfully dark in certain lights, but I think this is a good thing. I especially like the way it makes the woodwork look so light, as opposed to other paint colors which make it look so dark. If we are going to go for a dark color, I like it, even if it is a little...er...blood-like.
K: I think this red is too purply, and while I don't gravitate to the more Tomato-ey reds as paint chips, I think they might go better with our warm-toned woodwork.

"Delta Clay" (orange), Dining Room
D: In some lights, I really like it. In other lights, I am much less enthusiastic, and it is too orangish. I don't think I would like a yellower shade would be good, but i also don't want to go browner...
K: The orange was my cockamamie idea, well actually I said I wanted russet, but I'm just not convinced. This orange is dark enough that people won't start calling me Julius, but I'd like to see something browner or lighter.

"Leather Satchel" (beige), Den
D: It came out darker than either the swatch or the little bit of paint he put on the can. While I don't dislike the color, right now I think we should go lighter, partly to make the woodwork stand out more.
K: While this looks very close to what I had in my mind, it just looks too putty. I wanted more suede, camelhair. In general, I think we probably should go lighter to start and intensify the color later if we want. I can't tell how much of my difficulties with this is first-timeritis. What is the right way to select paint? Is it the way we painted the test spots (shoddily) that is glitching my eye? Do I want to change the finish (to something shinier)? Is it where we chose to place the test spots? Will it be better or worse on the whole wall? I'm very insecure of my ability to do this. My visions look lovely in my mind, and I usually find confirmation of my instincts in shelter magazines. But I have a lousy track record, when I was in high school, my parents let me paint my room. I selected the most tasteful Dusty Rose with a lovely Federal Grey-Blue for the trim -- and, you can guess what happen, it turned out terrible. Bright pink and blue, like a nursery for fraternal twins. I didn't mind it at the time (much like my gold lame prom dress), but boy do I wince now. I don't want to make those mistakes again. Sigh. Maybe we could just look at a few more subdued samples....

6 Comments:

At 6:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi K & D:
You should go to a shop that carries paint in sample sized jars so that you can try out more colors. I think you need to sample several colors in the same range (two or three different oranges in the dining room, etc.) You need to have something to compare. Good luck. L

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger D. said...

Hi L: We had gone to the place that had medium-sized samples, and that's where we got these, which were the ones that we both were convinced were the best that we had seen...until we saw them on the walls.

Today we discovered the much-closer-but-much-more-expensive paint store that has small sized samples, and we may be getting a few more of those in the near future.

D

 
At 10:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand the desire for color after apartment living... My husband and I also just bought our first house and are painting. Just remember that when you paint the entire room, whatever color you choose will look even more intense than it does in your smaller patch. My dad has told me this rule many times, but I just painted my bedroom and after I got all finished, I kind of wish that the color was a little more muted.

 
At 1:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you folks tried the historic preservation pallet as Sherwin Williams? They have 5 or 6 different pallets to choose from depending on the period of your home. They show all the colors and then list color combinations that might work well with your rooms. We used their arts & crafts pallet and our "red" dining room turned out lovely!

 
At 3:33 PM, Blogger K said...

We used the Sherwin Williams Victorian pallet for our living room (and soon for the dining room). It's very helpful to have a selection of "approved" historical colors. :) As for the colors above, I love our dark red living room, but it is definitely a bold statement so be sure that's what you want! :)

 
At 3:41 PM, Blogger K. said...

Hi Kristin! I love your blog - and your house. I'm so grateful for everyone's input.

I find it really wild that we share the same first initials, are both Cancers, and both work in Communications/Media!

I like your Georgian Brick a lot. I had looked at it, but for whatever reason, we're not considering Benjamin Moore. It's not sold at any of our local stores. We do have a Sherwin Williams.

Anyway, I'm working my way up to a post on how you and I and Serendipity House all have the same kitchen!

Best, K.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home