Wednesday, March 22

A Carport With Balls.

When we first moved in last summer, our carport was covered in vines and greenery which made it look very nice, even if it was a bit unkempt and attracted lots of bees:


oct0080


It stayed that way through the summer and most of the fall, green and bushy even if it wasn't producing the delicious grapes that some of the other vines on our property were. Then as winter approached the greenery started dying off, as greenery does, and we just had the bare vines covering the carport. It was then that we first noticed IT poking out, and we could see IT in passing. But IT wasn't too prominent, and at first I wouldn't have even noticed IT from most angles. As the winter carried on and the vines fell away IT became more prominent, but it was only this weekend after K. worked in the garden and cut away all the vines that IT became a prominent feature of our yard:


march0015


Yes, in addition to all of the other crazy things that the previous owners left behind, they left us with an eagle statue prominently adorning our carport, at least for several months of the year. Now, every time I walk to the car I feel like I am crossing through the set of The Colbert Report (and yes, I know that this is probably ironic payback for my dreams of installing The Daily Show set in our living room...)

But worst of all, at least as far as K. is concerned, every time I see the eagle -- or really even think about it, for that matter, I can't help but break into song. What song, you ask? Well, I start singing the classic "Let The Eagle Soar" by Governor/Senator/Attorney General John Ashcroft. Sure, I don't know any of the lyrics beyond the first two lines despite the fact that I was once in a musical with Ashcroft's son (True Story). But those first two lines are stuck in my head pretty much constantly these days. Say what you want about Ashcroft as a politician (and, believe me, I do), but the man can write a song.


march0016

4 Comments:

At 9:51 AM, Blogger HomeImprovementNinja said...

I know most people focus on the kitchen/bath when they renovate, but you should close the carport off and turn it into a garage or extra room. It's definitely a great return on the investment.

When you sell, people won't pay much extra for a carport, but they will for a garage even though a garage door isn't that expensive. (according to my brother the realtor) Go figure.

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger K. said...

Oh, HIN, you can't imagine how many "extra rooms" we already have. Tooooo many really. Maybe you should check back to the archives for last spring. We have a full size basement with shelving, a large attic, an extra bedroom, plus. And we will probably demolish the biggest of them - the "four-seasons room." Because boy do we hate it.

My goal is actually to demolish the carport too. For two reasons. 1) I want the garden space. Our house is lovely and large, but the yard is quite small comparatively. I could gain another 100 sq-ft of garden space if the damn carport wasn't there. (Actually, this is part of my reasoning for demoing the four seasons room too. Besides it's general ugliness and uselessness.) 2) Because it casts shade on half the garden that we do have.

So there you go. I am aware that we can't really sacrifice parking spaces. But maybe you do not realize that we also have a separate Garage behind the carport. Oh yes, we do. AND there is a full parking lot next door to our house.

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger D. said...

But homeimprovementninja, it's not just a carport. It's a carport with balls. And to destroy it would be to destroy everything America stands for.

 
At 11:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let the EEEEEAAAGGGGLE soar.
Like she's never SOAAAAARREDDD before.
From mountain tops to ROCKKKKY shores,
Let the mighty EEAAAGGGLLEEE soar.

Those may not be the right words, but it's close.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home